Tuesday, August 24, 2021

More clown notes for eventual collation

 I was explaining to someone the legitimate basis rather than manufactured trope about why Clowns are to any degree scary.

Clowns predominantly create worlds and invite audiences into them. Fraser here is an example of that. The act of stepping out of your reality and into someone elses requires degrees of trust and bravery which I think is the genesis of the legitimate fear and is itself as old as the form.
I myself don't create alternative realities, I might use the occasional illusion, if something blows past I'll pretend I have telekinetic powers for example.
My reality building is creating a world where I have permission to exist. I made a psychological disfunction, wherein someone shames or embarrasses everyone as a means of shoring up self esteem via externalised anger, into a clown character....and people laughed because they recognised themselves. [and I got to do it guilt free which is an ultimate luxury] 

This guy adapts to his surroundings and improvises creative moments to share and I'm convinced it's the same thing essentially as the late great Rob Torres having to creatively improvise his way out of this. The audience, one live, one online, react I think in the same way....in a way....


Its interesting because some youtubers tick the same boxes with the live versions of their productions. [they have a non street theater advantage in that their content is permanent] but while it's live they interact with viewers, banter, viewers add creative impulses, I'm watching the melding of various forms, the live interactive/online interactive classes and something I don't think anyone else has noticed yet, the potential that was very rare on the street but did happen. [I saw it in Paris] that could and already is happening to a tiny and unrecognised extent IMO which is 'Salon' culture.
It's starting to form online at it's earliest stages right now.

Because when you disconstruct a street show it's essentially a communication forum based around props and the production [usually] of punctuative crescendos. Underneath every unicycle show or jugglers show it was simply more a monologue than a conversation but the best had an interactive element designed to at best allow the creation of unique interactive 'moments' where everyone was illuminated in a new shared experience.





No comments: