Thursday, November 3, 2011

A letter [To Butterflyman] re his street performer podcasts





It's always arrogant when I attempt to define my perspective but since the very beginning when I got into the street theatre business I knew there was a vein within it, and the better performers I came across reinforced this, a kind of articulated wry glee in response to the human condition that created on one level shows that tapped into some of that energy, that amplified it and sent it out into crowds that at best roared appreciation and on another level, in terms beyond what society chops up into bite size chunks and sells as 'success', which amounts to trite plastic do-dads and ostentatious hollow simulated 'lifestyle' bollocks, a level in which certain performers were aware of the power they channeled when they created a crowd, then momentum, then surfed it into new waters on a regular basis.

I was proud to be part of, what to me was a global fraternity of eccentric comic alchemists, and here's my arrogance again, this is why I was always on my guard to spot pretenders. 

So one part of my perspective comes from this background and the knowledge that what we are is incredibly rare and valuable livers of life.

and more recently I have been studying the internet since it started and trying to find a way to transfer this energy we have to it without compromising it.
Like you and others in our ilk I am gifted with instinctive timing. The internet seemed to be a challenge because using text or pictures it was essentually a series of still pictures that didn't convey our kind of energy well and what short films that were uploaded were all realworld situations transferred to another medium.

I like the 'less is more' spoken word format you started using because it draws you in and you can immerse yourself in it. 
I think all the content is good but I think the shorter, more defined in theme and one story or contrasting one question to three answers each a story formats are the most immediately attractive.

see it might be arrogance to think that what I find interesting and special will be interesting and special to a wider audience but it doesn't take much to recognise that assumption is what we based our entire successful careers  on.

The reason we drew crowds in part was that people found us intriguing. I think rather than jump through technological hoops we could simply let the technology broadcast us as we are. We can invite people to share those parts of us they never saw. Our world and the way we framed our haphazard lives and the stories that we created on and off stage have a degree of authenticity that in many ways, being independant wastrels on a global stage, are rare and attractive to the general mass of people who yearn for the kinds of freedoms we created.

Now If I could just make the above into one 500 word sentence my lifes work would be complete.

No comments: