Monday, July 4, 2011

Me and nuns go way back.



Lot on today, 4th of july parade in Kona, I've been on the local TV for a couple of weeks, shots of previous parades. [I hold the crowd pleaser award and am defending it today by adding lots of LED's I bought in China to my costume. They have to be pinned on and turned on individually however I'll light up well as the sun sets during the parade.

I have a series I'm putting up here and I'm working on that, "How to create an audience pt 2" I'll put up in the next few days.

But today just a piece I found from my working in Granada Spain.



The cathedral disgorged its faithful onto its steps and the courtyard beyond where I was working. 

From another direction came a woman bearing flowers who gave me a large multi petaled long stemmed beauty. I had my bait and waited.

 When tricking a nun,  if you have the luxury of choice,  choose not a radiant serene beatific nun,  instead seek out a dour,  jowls prominent,  brooding nun. 
(Its the timeless clown nastiness of the long-stemmed flower being offered and the mark being left holding the stem.)

 You offer a flower to a stern nun and her face changes,  it softens slightly,  you may even get a smile,  then you leave her holding the stem as you turn your back and her face resets into distrust,  well all I have to say is that there's more to that than just comic humiliation. 

 To work outside a cathedral is to invite nun-interaction but also eventually I’m looking at nun insurrection,  collective vengeance,  a hideous final justice,  shredding the panto.
 A nun,  clutching my leg,  sets fire to herself.
 I know I am no match for the catholic imagination.

 My only defense. I know a cheap laugh when I see one.

No comments: