Thursday, February 7, 2019

A Wag and a Jape and some Pigeons and Chemo-brain.


Chemo-brain is a condition where after chemo some people suffer lapses of memory.
I think it may come in useful.

Riddiford st is one of the six or seven arterial roads that lead into the central Wellington city and the closest main road to me. It’s where my local shops are.
A one lane road leads off it called Wilson st and cars come off the main rd primarily to get to the residential blocks that lay behind the main rd. It’s not busy but cars are frequently intermittent.
There’s some trees at the start of the street and a park bench I sometimes sit at as I rest and marshal my energy levels on my post operative reality. I just sit and watch the world go by. Sometimes I read or sip a coffee.
Some wag plays a jape I’ve noticed, it’s happened a couple of times now. Someone drops a couple of slices of bread about 20 yards into Wilson street.
Whether it’s ground into the road or just sits there Pigeons soon appear and gather on the road pecking.

These aren’t proudly working class London Pigeons who wear their downtrodden demeanors like badges and would gladly work in coalmines if only equipment was made that their small feet and beaks could operate. Nor are they French Pigeons who would rather starve than eat yucky foreign bread nor are they New York Pigeons who rent their reproductive organs in all manner of perversions for their next hit of meth or crack. No these are robust centered NZ Pigeons and it’s not hard to imagine they go kayaking in the weekends.

They gather and feast on the road and cars turn into the street and I’m not sure if it’s Hindu related but they stop short at the stubborn pecking Pigeons and then so too the cars behind them until temporarily one lane of the main road comes to a halt as the leading cars reluctance to squash a pigeon is telescoped and threatens the entire system of vehicular normality.

I think it’s hilarious and it’s happened a couple of times while I’ve sat and watched.
I’ve even suspected I may be the person doing it. The Jury’s still out on that.
But whether it’s me or not.
Chemo-brain is a thing.

No comments: